Saturday, July 2, 2016

Day 1: Back Again

London, 6/29-30

UPDATED 7/4 - Fixed photo issue and added captions

Arrival and Settling In

We arrived at Heathrow around noon on June 30 feeling tired and in dire need of a shower. Olivia was able to handle the flight alright with the help of Pixar, Benadryl, and a pacifier.

Janine and I trying our best not to be "that" family with the crying toddler on the plane
We took the tube into town and made our way to a nearby Pret A Manger (sandwich chain) for a bite to eat and a place to rest before we could check into our Airbnb. Our apartment for the next 5 days in London is located right off of Leicester Square in the West End. After unpacking, we set off into town to pick up a UK sim card for my smartphone, go to the Tesco (grocery chain) for essentials, and pick up a quick bite to eat.

Dining in on our first night.

"The Night Before the Somme" Event at the Imperial War Museum, London

To commemorate the centenary of the horrific WWI Battle of the Somme that cost the lives of nearly 20,000 British soldiers, the Imperial War Museum of London put together a free special event open to the public.  I stumbled on this event as I was planning our London itinerary and couldn't resist signing up for it. Since this was from 8pm until midnight, we thought it wise not to put a jet lagged toddler into the mix, so I went solo. I must be honest, I did not expect to see a large turn out for a WWI museum event, so I was absolutely surprised when I came across this:

One of two lines for the "The Night Before the Somme" at the Imperial War Museum, London.
This was a startling reminder about how significant the Great War was to the British. I wondered how seriously anyone would attend such an event in the US if one were held today. As I entered into the museum's atrium I found myself in the middle of a performance by actors dressed in period WWI clothing reading diaries and letters by those living during that time period. A chamber choir provided accompaniment during the interludes with popular songs of the era.

Actors dressed in period clothing stood in the museum's atrium reading letters and diary entries of those involved with the Great War.
As I looked for the line for drinks, I somehow ended up in the long queue for a speaker panel on the classic film, The Battle of the Somme. The film had been remastered in time for the centenary with a brand new score and the panel had two packed out small theater sized groups.  The first discussion was on the power of propaganda during wartime and the second, which I attended, was on film's important role as the first ever war film. The way the panel discussed the film was as if every Briton should have seen it already, a type of Zeitgeist that I was unfamiliar with as an American. I knew of the film from a documentary I show my class on the Great War, but had never seen it in its entirety. Unfortunately, the movie showing that followed the panel was already full before I could get in line.

Panelists included various documentarians and historians lead by a BBC correspondent.
When I got out I grabbed what I was originally looking for, Gunfire Tea. A favorite amongst the solders, this adult beverage consist of 1 part black tea, 1 part rum, and garnish with a lime. I sipped on this and watched three period British soldiers play out a comedic scene about trench life.

Gunfire tea served in a cool souvenir tin cup
After finishing my tea and purchasing some British war propaganda posters from my classroom, I made my way into the IWM's First World War exhibit. I had been to this exhibit previously nearly a decade ago when I was in college, but they did a major overhaul on it in 2014. The creative combination of interactive media, artifacts, and information gave a bolt of energy to my jet lagged self. I had the special privilege of enjoying the exhibit with various actors playing out the lives of soldiers and nurses.



As 11:30 came around, I found myself too tired to even to take in and appreciate this creative display of history in front of me. I picked up the pace through the exhibit after touring a recreation of a trench and made my way back to the apartment with a quick stop at a nearby Burger King surrounded by the outflowing pub/bar crowd. I returned home tired and exhausted, but felt privileged to attend this special event marking a traumatic time in British history.

Imperial War Museum London lit up for the centenary of the Battle of the Somme


1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    Looks like some pics are not showing up, others are??

    Looking good so far,

    Allan

    ReplyDelete